The recipe is almost too simple to write down, but since I did like this particular combination, it is worth jotting down for my own reference. If you do want ways to use up some winter vegetables, this is a nice and simple way to do just that!
Sautéed Beet Red Greens [Vegan]
Serves3 - 4 as a side dish
- 1/4 cup oil (preferably mustard oil)
- 1 teaspoon panch phoron (Bengali 5-spice blend)
- 1 teaspoon ginger paste
- a pinch of asafetida (optional)
- 2 dried red chilies
- 3/4 cup tender cubed eggplant
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 red potato, cut into large cubes (with the skin on)
- 1/2 cup cubes winter squash
- 2 cups of fresh red spinach or winter beet greens
- Heat the oil on medium heat for 1 minute and add in the panch phoron.
- When this begins to crackle, add in the ginger paste, red chilies and the asafetida if using.
- Spinkle the turmeric and salt over the eggplant and the potatoes and add into the oil and spice mixture.
- Reduce the heat and cover the wok and let the eggplants cook for about 10 minutes on low heat.
- Remove the cover and check to ensure that the eggplants are very soft.
- Add in the squash and cover and cook for 5 minutes.
- Add in the red beet greens or spinach with 2 tablespoons of water and stir well.
- Let the leaves wilt, cover and cook for about 3-4 minutes until the leaves are soft and wilted. Stir well to mix in with the very soft eggplant, and the potatoes and squash.
- Check the seasonings and serve.
EXPLORE MORE VEGAN RECIPES WITH THESE INGREDIENTS