Saag is a generic name for greens, not just spinach. This recipe made with Kale will offer fenugreek lovers familiar notes of sweet and slight bitterness. Overall, the soft potatoes offer a perfect background for the kale. Just a note, to make this recipe work like the kale and potato were made for each other, you need a touch of spinach to soften the kale and the kale needs to be finely chopped. I use a pair of scissors and do this with my kids. We actually have a lot of fun, slicing the kale into thin ribbons.
The potatoes in this recipe are organic baby potatoes, that I boiled and peeled and halved.
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 30 minutes
Total Time: 50 minutes
Yield: 4 to 6 servings
- 1 and 1/2 pounds baby potatoes (about 15)
- Water for boiling
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1 tablespoon fresh ginger garlic paste
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon red chili powder
- 2 tomatoes, finely chopped
- 2 cups (about 6 to 8 large kale leaves) finely chopped kale
- 1 cup finely chopped spinach
- 1 teaspoon cumin-coriander powder
- 1 lime (optional)
- Wash the potatoes and place in a large pot of water to boil. Cook for 8 to 10 minutes.
- Drain the potatoes in a colander, peel the potatoes, and cut into halves.
- Heat the olive oil and add the cumin seeds and wait till they sizzle.
- Add in the ginger-garlic paste and saute lightly for 1 minutes, until the mixture is very fragrant.
- Add in potatoes and mix well.
- Add in the turmeric and the salt and mix well and cook for 2 to 3 minutes.
- Add in the chili powder and the tomatoes and let the mixture rest on low heat until the tomatoes soften, this will take about 3 to 4 minutes.
- Mix the tomatoes into the potato mixture.
- Mix in the kale and spinach, with the cumin-coriander powder, and stir well. This should mix into the tomatoes, continue stirring frequently until the kale wilts and coats the potatoes in a soft dark green coating.
- Squeeze in the lime juice if using the lime and mix well, check the seasonings and serve.