This is a simple and festive dish, with the magical complex sweetness of the caramelized onion melting into the raisins, offering a gentle balance to the light and bitter notes of the kale.
Kale with Caramelized Onions and Cumin
- 3 tablespoons oil
- 2 medium sized red onions, thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon freshly grated ginger
- 1 1/2 teaspoons freshly ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon red cayenne pepper
- 4 cups of freshly chopped kale
- 2 tablespoon raisins
- Heat the oil on medium low heat for about 1 minute and add in the onions, cook the onions low and slowly until they soften, curl, and gradually turn golden brown. This does need some attention and about 10 to 12 minutes to get to the golden brown color.
- Remove about half the onions with a slotted spoon.
- Add in the ginger and cook for another minute.
- Add in the cumin and cayenne pepper and mix well.
- Add in the kale and stir well, until the kale is wilted.
- Stir in the raisins and cook until the raisins are heated through.
- Serve hot or at room temperature.
EXPLORE MORE VEGAN RECIPES WITH THESE INGREDIENTS