This sun-kissed Maple Oatmeal Bread is so light and fluffy, you might have to fight an urge to cuddle it when it comes out of the oven. Or to gobble it all down in one sitting.
Homemade Whole Wheat Maple Oatmeal Bread
This Recipe is :
- 2 1/2 tsp active dry yeast mixed with 1/2 cup warm water and set aside for five minutes.
- 2 cups whole-wheat durum flour (can substitute regular whole-wheat flour)
- 2 cups bread flour
- 1 cup rolled oats
- 2 tbsp pure maple syrup
- 1/2 cup turbinado or brown sugar
- 1/4 cup canola oil or other vegetable oil
- 1 1/2 cups hot water
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp salt
- Mix the oats, maple syrup, sugar, oil, cinnamon, salt and water in a large bowl or in the bowl of a stand mixer and let it sit for about 10 minutes or until it’s lukewarm
- Add the yeast and water mixture and the flour and knead into a smooth dough by hand for about 10 minutes, or 7 minutes in the stand mixer. If the dough is too loose, add a little more flour.
- Place the dough in a large, oiled bowl, turning over once to coat the top with oil. Cover the top of the bowl with a kitchen towel or plastic wrap and let it rise in a warm spot for about an hour to 90 minutes or until the dough has doubled.
- Divide the dough into two and shape each half into an oval, tucking the seams underneath. Place each half in greased, standard-sized loaf pans (around 9 X 5 inches, although a slight variation in sizes doesn’t really matter).
- Cover loosely with a kitchen napkin or oiled plastic wrap and let the loaves rise for 90 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 360 degrees about half an hour before baking. Place the loaves in the oven and bake for 33 minutes until the tops are golden-brown.
- Remove to a rack, cool for 15 minutes, then unmold the breads. If they stick a bit, run a knife along the sides of the loaf to dislodge it from the pan.
- Cool thoroughly before slicing.
EXPLORE MORE VEGAN RECIPES WITH THESE INGREDIENTS