This is fantastic served with homemade guacamole, pesto, hummus, cheese sauce, for an open face sandwich, or serve plain accompanied with a blended soup. Have fun creating your own options. It also refrigerates and freezes well (if it lasts that long). This recipe also equates into a fantastic and healthy dog biscuit.
Gluten-free Italian Foccacia Flax Bread
- 2 cups flax seed meal (seeds ground first then measured into 2 cups)
- 1 Tbsp baking powder
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/4 cup (or more to taste) Nutritional yeast
- 1 heaping TB. Italian seasoning
- 1 TB. Healthy sweetener of choice: Sucanat or coconut sugar. I used NuNaturals liquid stevia extract equivalent – 1/32 tsp=1 T (1 dropper full) for a candida-friendly option.
- 3 beaten organic eggs
- 2 TB. chia seed meal ( seeds ground first then measured)
- 1/3 cup organic coconut oil, melted
- 1/2 cup fresh water
- Preheat oven to 350 F. Grease a 9.5 X 13.5 dish and line with parchment paper – IMPORTANT! (coconut oil works great!).
- Combine in a large bowl and mix dry ingredients — a whisk works well.
- Add wet ingredients to a bowl or Vitamix and whisk WELL. Combine the wet and dry ingredients and stir well till fully combined.
- Let batter set for 2 to 3 minutes to thicken up some (leave it too long and it gets past the point where it’s easy to spread.)
- Spoon batter into pan and spread out or use wet fingers and pat out to edges of pan – it doesn’t have to be perfect.
- Bake for about 25 minutes, until it springs back when you touch the top and/or is visibly browned.
- Cool and cut into whatever size slices you want.
EXPLORE MORE VEGAN RECIPES WITH THESE INGREDIENTS
Nuts / Seeds
AUTHOR & RECIPE DETAILS