The cake is delicious. The jaggery gave it a deep richness, and the cardamom was just perfect with the cucumber. If you can’t find jaggery, feel free to substitute with brown sugar. The result won’t be exactly the same, but it will taste pretty darn good. This is also a very healthy cake. There is very little fat in the recipe, and it incorporates brown rice flour and whole-wheat flour — and, of course, a veggie. Because jaggery is not refined, it is also a better-for-you sweetener.
Low-Fat Bundt Cake [Vegan]
- 1 cup whole-wheat flour
- 1 cup brown rice flour
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 tsp powdered cardamom
- 2 cups very finely grated jaggery (don’t leave in any lumps here)
- 3 tbsp flaxmeal mixed with 9 tbsp water
- 3/4 cup applesauce
- 1/2 cup grated coconut
- 4 tbsp canola or other vegetable oil
- 1 large cucumber (2 1/2 cups), seeded and grated
- Add the wet ingredient mixture to the dry ingredients, and mix until everything comes together. Pour the batter into a bundt pan and smooth the top.
- Bake in a preheated 350-degree oven for 45 minutes or until a toothpick in the center comes out clean.
- Unmold 10 minutes after removing from the oven. Cool thoroughly on a rack, then slice and enjoy!