I followed Nihacc’s link to this easy recipe and played around with it a little bit, changing out some of the ingredients, and adding some here and there. My take on it is below, but I encourage you to check out Nihacc’s mouthwatering breakfast blog (imagine: something different each morning!) as well as the blog she cites (The Sunny Raw Kitchen).
Date-Cherry-Ginger-Orange-Coconut Bars [Vegan]
- 1 cup almonds
- 1 cup dates, roughly chopped
- 1/2 cup dried tart cherries
- 1/4 cup crystallized ginger
- 1 cup dried, unsweetened coconut flakes
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- zest of 1 orange
- 2 tbsp. fresh orange juice
- 1 tbsp. cacao nibs
- 1 tbsp. chia seeds
- Line a 9″ x 9″ pan with parchment paper.
- In the bowl of a food processor, finely grind the almonds. Add the dates, cherries and ginger and process a few times just to break everything down. Add the remaining ingredients and process until everything is in small bits. If the mixture is not coming together, add a tablespoon or two of water.
- Dump the mixture into the prepared pan and gently spread and pat it out until it reaches all sides and is fairly even. Place in the refrigerator for a few hours before slicing. I wrap mine in parchment paper and store in the refrigerator.