This cornbread stuffing comes alive with red, green and yellow peppers and once again woven through with the magic of perennial herbs.
Cornbread Stuffing with Bell Peppers
- 1 recipe Southern Cornbread, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 1 green, 1 red and 1 yellow bell pepper, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1 tbsp fresh sage, chopped
- 1 tbsp fresh rosemary, chopped
- 1 cup coriander leaves (or parsley)
- 1 cup chopped celery stalks
- 1 tbsp olive oil + 1 tbsp vegan butter like Earth Balance
- Salt and ground black pepper to taste
- 2 cups vegetable stock
- Heat the oil and vegan butter.
- Add the onion, celery and bell peppers and saute until they begin to soften, about five minutes.
- Season with salt and pepper and add herbs. Turn off heat.
- Add the cubed cornbread and mix well. Add the vegetable stock and mix well. The cornbread cubes will break up, or at least some of them, but that’s okay.
- Empty the stuffing into an oiled, rectangular baking dish and bake about 45-60 minutes or until the top is brown and crunchy.
- Garnish with more fresh herbs, if you like.
AUTHOR & RECIPE DETAILS