Don’t be fooled by the diminutive stature of these cupcakes. They are studly in flavor: chocolate, peanut butter, and tangy orange.
Chocolate-Peanut Butter Vegan Cupcakes with Orange 'Marmalade' Frosting
- 1 cup whole wheat pastry flour
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup coconut palm sugar
- 3 tsp. powdered stevia
- 2 tbsp. cornstarch
- 3/4 cup Dutch-process cocoa powder
- 2 tsp. baking powder
- 1/2 tsp. baking soda
- 2 tsp. coffee substitute powder (or use espresso powder)
- 1 tsp. salt
- 3 tbsp. flaxseed meal + 9 tbsp. water (whisk together then let sit for a minute or two)
- 1 small avocado
- 1/2 cup smooth natural peanut butter
- 2 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1 tsp. peanut butter flavor
- 1 3/4 cups water
Orange “marmalade” frosting
- 1 orange, peeled (reserve some of the peel for garnish, if desired)
- 1/2 cup raw cashew pieces, soaked for a few hours
- 1/2 tsp. orange extract
- 1 tbsp. coconut oil
- 7-10 drops stevia liquid (or your favorite sweetener, to taste)
- pinch salt
Chocolate peanut butter drizzle
- 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1 heaping tbsp. smooth natural peanut butter
- 2-3 tbsp. coconut oil
- 1/2 tsp. peanut butter flavor, optional
- Preheat the oven to 350F and lightly spray 14-18 muffins tins with oil. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flours, sugar, cornstarch, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda, Cafix, and salt.
- In the bowl of a food processor, blend the flaxseed meal mixture, avocado, and peanut butter – just enough to break down the avocado. Now add the vanilla extract, peanut butter flavor, and water. Process until very smooth. Add this mixture to the dry ingredients and stir until well blended.
- Divid the mixture evenly between the muffin tins and shake the pans to level the batter. Bake for about 30 minutes or until firm to the touch. Let cool in the pans for about 15 minutes, then remove and cool completely on wire racks.
- In a high-speed blender or food processor, combine all of the frosting ingredients and process until very smooth. This will take a little longer in a food processor. Pour the frosting into an air-tight container and store in the refrigerator until ready to use. The frosting will not harden, but will be thick and fairly liquid.
- When the cupcakes have cooled, use a tablespoon to pour frosting over the cupcakes. Store cupcakes in the refrigerator until ready to drizzle with chocolate.
- In a double boiler, slowly melt the chocolate, peanut butter, and coconut oil, stirring to thoroughly combine. Remove from the heat and stir in the peanut butter flavor. Remove the cupcakes from the refrigerator and drizzle them with the melted chocolate mixture. Top with orange peel, if using.
- Store cupcakes in the refrigerator.
EXPLORE MORE VEGAN RECIPES WITH THESE INGREDIENTS