Orange and chocolate seem so natural together and apricots add that nice, soft bite that complements the flaky scone. These make a not-too-sweet afternoon snack or a portable breakfast. With half the fat of “normal” scones, these are nearly guilt-free.
Chocolate Chip, Apricot, and Orange Scones (Vegan)
This Recipe is :
- 2 1/2 cups white whole wheat flour
- 4 tsp. baking powder
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- zest from one orange
- 1 tbsp. egg replacer + 3 tbsp. water (whisk until frothy, then set aside for a minute or two)
- 1/4 cup vegan butter
- 4 oz. unsweetened applesauce
- 1/4 cup pure maple syrup
- 1/4-1/2 cup soy milk
- 1/2 cup vegan chocolate chips or chocolate chunks
- 1/2 cup dried apricots, chopped
- ~2 tbsp. soy milk, for brushing tops of scones
- Demerara sugar, for sprinkling, if desired
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and preheat the oven to 425F.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, baking soda, salt and orange zest. Add the butter in chunks and blend until the mixture is the consistency of coarse meal.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the egg replacer, applesauce, maple syrup and soy milk, then pour into the dry ingredients – adding more soy milk if necessary. Just before the dough is thoroughly combined, stir in the chocolate chips and dried apricots.
- Scoop the batter into a ball and place on a floured surface (or directly onto the lined baking pan). Pat dough into a circle that is about 1/2″ thick. Move the circle onto the baking sheet and cut into 8-12 pieces. Separate the triangles a little bit, then brush the tops with soy milk and sprinkle with sugar.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes or until tops are a nice, rich brown. Let the scones cool for a minute before putting on wire cooling racks. Eat while still warm!
AUTHOR & RECIPE DETAILS