Butter made out of chickpeas? Yep, it’s a thing! Brooklyn-based vegan company, Fora has perfected the recipe for a new plant-based butter called “Faba Butter,” made using aquafaba, the brine water that is leftover when cooking chickpeas.

Aquafaba can act as an emulsifier, leavening agent, and foaming agent because it has properties similar to those of egg whites. Together with water, coconut oil, and plant-based liquid oil, aquafaba helps create a rich, creamy product that cooks, tastes, bakes and spreads just like traditional butter. Faba Butter will make it’s debut this year at the Winter Fancy Food Show and Fora co-founders, Andrew McClure and Aidan Altman already have plans for aquafaba-based whipped cream, frostings, and dressings.

“We’ve worked with some vegan chefs and they tell us that it’s the most functional butter alternative on the market that they have worked with,” Altman told Food Navigator. So exciting!

In an effort to make their product zero-waste, Fora buys the leftover aquafaba from hummus producers, an ingredient that would normally be tossed. While we’ve seen aquafaba used in commercial products such as Sir Kensington’s vegan mayo, Fabanaise, it seems like Fora is set to revolutionize butter.

Faba Butter will likely to be met with success. More than ever, people are becoming aware of the impact that meat and dairy have on the planet, animals, and their health, and they are actively seeking out plant-based alternatives. According to a report from Neilsen examining growth in the plant-based food space, dairy alternatives are a fast-growing category, with 20 percent growth, topping $700 million in sales over the past year.

Products like Faba Butter are not only powerful because they are expanding the ever-increasing plant-based market, but they are also much-needed if we are to create a more sustainable future for the food world. Considering the fact that dairy farms use approximately 3.4 million gallons of water every single day, this is an industry that needs to be completely transformed. But thanks to forward-thinking companies like Fora, the food space is evolving towards more sustainable (and delicious!) options.

We can’t wait to try Faba Butter! To stay up to date on Fora, check out their website.

To learn more about the impact of our food choices as well as trends and developments in the plant-based food space, check out our podcast #EatForThePlanet with Nil Zacharias.

Image Source: Fora/Instagram

EXCLUSIVE: Why James Cameron’s New Documentary About Vegan Athletes Is a Real Game Changer

Scotland Could Ban All Throwaway Plastics by 2030!

Zimbabwe’s New President Just Banned the Live Export of Elephants!

After Spending Years on a Chain, Abused Dog Tastes His First Treat and Picks Out His Very First Toy (PHOTOS)

44 comments on “Get Ready for ‘Faba Butter,’ Vegan Butter You Can Buy That’s Made With Chickpea Water!”

Alyssa Ladzinski
6 Days ago

Max Singing-Iguanna Faba butter #dopabutter

Max Singing-Iguanna
16 Jan 2018

next project

Joan Ramler
6 Days ago

I just found several Aquafaba Marshmallow recipe and now butter! Got to love that.

Janet Lippis
6 Days ago

Briana Marie...I was just thinking that I was going to miss butter the most!

Briana Marie
16 Jan 2018

Can’t wait to try it 💚

Briana Marie
16 Jan 2018

Currently Janet, this is my absolute favorite vegan butter 💚🌱💚

Janet Lippis
16 Jan 2018

Briana Marie Ok, thanks!

Melissa Deditch
6 Days ago

Urgently On Love Spell To Get Your Ex Boyfriend Back Contact [email protected] He Is The Best Of All On Love Spell That Work Fast........
I am in the exact situation Has anything changed? My relationship had zero moral fiber I left several times hoping he would change Here I am again alone and now he stated that he is done trying??? I left him however he told me that I can not just come and go as I please and think that everything is okay He just does not get it!!! He treats me like a chair in our home It is just daunting I hope your situation is better?Help! I\'m confused and getting very frustrated.
My boyfriend and I have been separated for four months now and nothing is happening. He\'s doing nothing.
He was having an emotional affair 3rd time second woman, so he kick me out. We went to relationship counseling twice. he said he needed to go to personal before he would meet us again. In counseling he admitted he loved me but not in love with me.I am beyond devastated. What should I do? And when do you think he will realize he\'s still IN love with me? I need this man to realize I\'m still that girl he met 6 years ago. I\'ve noticed lately in the last couple days he\'s kinda been trying to make me jealous, in a sense of telling me he\'s getting checked out at work, or flexing his muscles in front of me-- I\'m not sure if I should take this as a good sign or not? Every time we have a good day, or I say something about being with him, he always says "we\'ll see". Please help me i began searching for help and answers, then i heard about a man that can Cast a spell to remind him of all the things we have been through together, at first I was scared then i decided to give it a try, and like magic my boyfriend came back, apology and begging for forgiveness, thanks to this man, I’m posting this to help people with similar issues.email him Urgently...
Email him @.... [email protected]
Whatsapp him or better still call...+2348133873774
You can also view on his Blogs site... https://happylovespell2.blogspot.com.ng/

Susan Jean Butcher
6 Days ago

NON-GMO chickpeas?

Ed Peterson
6 Days ago

Hopefully no Palm oil!!!???

Amanda Schneider