A trophy hunter who was leading a guided group to hunt an elephant for its tusks was trampled to death by a young bull elephant in Zimbabwe. For a story like this, one would probably assume that we would take some sort of almost celebratory stance in the face of a hunter finding himself the hunted, but we’re kinda not gonna go there. A man is dead, elephants are being hunted for trinkets and the entire thing pretty much blows.

Seriously, this just doesn’t need to happen.

Trophy Hunter Trampled to Death By Elephant He Was Trying to HuntSamuel-Warde

The facts are these. Ian Gibson took a group of American hunters out in Zimbabwe’s Zambezi Valley in the hopes of shooting a young bull elephant he’d been tracking. According to a statement written on AfricaHunting.com, the group came close to the elephant in the hopes of assessing his ivory when the elephant went into full charge and knelt on Gibson, crushing the hunter.

This isn’t the first incident involving a trophy hunter for the company, Safari Classics, Gibson worked for either. In 2012, they lost another hunter named Owain Lewis to a Buffalo.

Once social media got wind of the story, there wasn’t a whole lot of sympathy flowing in for a guy who viewed endangered animals as dollar signs. “I wonder if the elephant took the guy’s teeth for their value,” one user queried, while another said, “I have zero sympathy for this hunter. I react to this the very same way I do when I see a bullfighter get mangled. BRAVO.” Still another commenter said, “The number of elephants is half what it was a decade or so ago and are dwindling fast. I don’t respect “hunters” who pay extraordinary fees and hire professional trackers killing shrinking numbers of elephants, rhinos, lions etc. just to feed their egos.”

Dude, those giant ivory tusks look like big parentheses with you in the middle. You could’ve just saved the elephant and wrote (asshat) on a piece of paper though.

Trophy Hunter Trampled to Death By Elephant He Was Trying to Hunt

In the camp of those who side with Gibson and other big game hunters, the argument was immediately made that the man was actually a conservationist. One person commented, “In modern times, the PH [professional hunter] is almost always an avid conservationist who works within the laws of the country to harvest wildlife that is mature and insure that the conservation of the species is well funded and that the species as a whole is healthy and at sustainable population levels.”

This is an argument for trophy hunting that has been thrown around time and time again, most recently when Ricky Gervais went after hunters who posted pictures of themselves beside felled giraffes on Twitter. It’s as ridiculous this time as always has been. Does the Louvre fund the preservation of priceless art by letting people pay to enter so they can judo kick the Mona Lisa in her smug forehead? If you’re trying to protect something, you don’t kill it. End of story.

Seems like a sensible plan.

Trophy Hunter Trampled to Death By Elephant He Was Trying to Hunt

While we can definitely understand the sentiments of those who regard Gibson and those like him with fury, we don’t celebrate anyone’s death (human or animal) and see the entire situation as utterly senseless. African elephants are being hunted to extinction, along with rhinos, for their tusks and horns. While bans on ivory are popping up in more and more countries every day, the fact remains that poaching and big game hunting are contributing to the problem and if things continue how they are, we could lose the African elephant entirely by 2030. That’s less than two decades away.

And as for Gibson? He should never have been there in the first place. Animals in the wild are…wild! We know this is a complete shocker, but it’s completely true. They are living, thinking beings with instincts for survival and they’re not really gonna be into hanging out with you, especially if they feel threatened.

Here’s a novel concept that can keep this situation from happening in the future. Let’s leave the wildlife the hell alone, m’kay? That way, we don’t have to make up a laundry list of justifications for our actions and attempt to hide under the banner of conservation as we blast them to smithereens, and they don’t have to fight for their lives and watch their numbers dwindle to nothing. There, both sides win.

Lead Image Credit: Daily Mail

Ringling Bros. and Barnum & Bailey Circus is Shutting Down!

Ringling Brothers and Barnum & Bailey Circus is Shutting Down!

France Passes Bill Ordering Cameras in All Slaughterhouses

shutterstock_45356686

Homeless Dogs Stranded in Thai Floods Had No Hope – Until These People Stepped in

Unknown

You Can’t Help But Feel Inspired by This Group That Feeds Over 10,000 Hungry Dogs in India

This Group Feeds Over 10,000 Hungry Dogs on the Streets of Delhi, India

102 comments on “Remember This? Trophy Hunter Trampled to Death By Elephant He Was Trying to Hunt”

Alan
5 Days ago

The title of the article alone made my day. Hope it involves lions shredding a hunter next time.

N/A
13 Days ago

i hope his death by Elephant was the most painful, excruciating moment of his pathetic heartless life ever. may it happen to all just like him!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

birgit spyros
19 Days ago

Too bad, so sad!! There should make killing elephants a crime and should be put in jail!!

Sandra Silvestri

This is a good article, don\'t like the pic though, holding up a poor elephants tusks..I\'v been following these stories and other articles like it and I was suppose to go to Africa to volunteer working with real conservationists mostly with wild dogs, some cats and chasing animals to collar.. I\'m so sick to death of the lame stories. We only hunt the old and sick. What, did Cecil have a cold? Did Walter ask him who old he was" Cecil was a 13 year old lion in his prime. He had excellent muscle tone and strong healthy teeth and was still capable of breeding. He shared a pride of 6 lioness and several cubs with Jericho. He was a leader and very good at it from what I\'ve seen.. Taking this male was a tragedy among his pride. He didn\'t only kill a lion, he destroyed a family, and left his family disoriented. Jericho called out to Cecil for 2 weeks, animals do have similar emotions as humans.. I just heard though that one cub had been killed while another male was trying to mate with his mother and Cecil now has grand babies This is another one ." Conservation:" O.K. fine, I\'ll give you that..lol ..The whole "3%": that "may go there". Another one..Money trickles down to hungry villagers .No...I know for a fact, they beg to differ. For years, these hunters have been over there killing animals for the same reasons, yet the villagers are still sweeping dirt and living in huts and have no running water and not much food to eat... How much to you need to get water, Gee, these people should be living in better conditions than us.. That money goes right into the corrupt pockets of those running the country. They use these animals for profit, they have no regard for live. These idiots tell you that they aren\'t poachers, but from what I\'ve seen, they do the same exact thing, except they can afford it.

Donald Uhlinger

Seeing that smiling jacka$$ and knowing he was killed by the intelligent animal he was trying to murder gives me a true sense of satisfaction and justice.

Yvonne Huth

I am happy that he is gone and I am hoping that the elephant stays safe. As a matter of fact I wish that all Poachers would vanish from this earth. They are scum....and murderers.

Adams Helen

My names is Adams Helen am from USA i want to use this opportunity to thank Dr Trust the great doctor who bring back my husband which makes me very happy today so i could not keep the wonderful work he has done for me so i decide to share it with you all because he is real not like those who eat up my money and never do anything for me, i have 2 lovely kids for my husband, about 3 years ago my husband and i has been quarreling about some things he is doing that he had not been doing before,like keeping late at night and drinking i don\'t know that my husband is having a secret affair with a lady close to my street they do meet after work at one hotel,one day i felt that this is too much to bear then i confronted him one night but he did not listen instead he beat me up in front of our kids then he finally left me for the lady. i felt my life was over and my kids thought they will never see their father again. i tried to be strong just for the kids but i couldn’t control the pains that torments my heart, my heart was filled with sorrows and pains because i was really in love with my husband. Every day and night i think of him and i always wish he will come back to me, until one day i met a good friend of mine that was also in a situation like me but her problem was her ex-boyfriend who she had an unwanted pregnancy for and he refused to take responsibility and dumped her. she told me that mine was a small case and that i shouldn’t worry about it at all so i asked her what was the solution to my problems and she gave me this great Doctor email address i was doubting if this man was the solution,because i have tried so many fake Doctor on the internet but they only eat up my money and never work for me so i contacted this great man and he told me what to do and i deed them all, he told me to wait for just 42 hours and that my husband will come crawling on his kneels just for forgiveness so i faithfully deed what this great man asked me to do and for sure after 12hours i heard a knock on the door i went and open the door, in a great surprise i saw him on his kneels and i was speechless, when he saw me, all he did was crying and asking me for forgiveness, from that day, all the pains and sorrows in my heart ran away,since then i and my husband and our lovely kids are living happily.that is why i want to say a big thanks to Dr Trust This great man made me to understand that there is know problem on earth that has no solution so please if you know that you have any relationship problem, i will advise you to contact this great doctor through his mail

[email protected] or [email protected]
Web site: http://ultimatespellcast8.wix.com/ultimatespellcast
Call +2348156885231

Black_Rose56

Awesome, so glad for the elephant. As for the former fat prick, I hope his funeral is open casket so that people can piss and shit in it. It\'s the least they can do.

Sue
27 Nov 2016

I couldn\'t have worded it any better.....

Shanti

Karma\'s a bitch! Wildlife = 10; Dickless hunter = 0! And that\'s the way I like it!

Atteiram
18 Nov 2016

YEEES!!!

Fran

Thank god, the elephant lived to breathe another day. That was an extremely inteligent elephant. That criminal deserved what happened to him, I hope he is burning in Hell.