Listen up, folks! We’ve said it once and we’ll say it again, our food choices can have an enormous impact on the environment. The animal agriculture industry is one of the most destructive on the planet, responsible for using over 50 percent of arable land resources, a majority of freshwater stores, while simultaneously producing anywhere from 14.5 percent to 51 percent of global greenhouse gas emissions. But just as readily as our food choices can have a negative impact on the planet, they can also have a positive one.

The concept might not be a new one to Green Monsters, but a new study from Oxford Martin School recently found that if we all adopted a vegetarian diet, we could cut food-related emissions by 63 percent!  And not only will saying “so long” to your cheeseburger help save the environment, but it will make you healthier, too!

Emissions from agriculture and food production account for HALF of the world’s “carbon budget.” But if we all made more room for veggies on our plates, we could make a HUGE dent in greenhouse gases…

ARTICLE	TITLE

According to the study, if we all adopted a vegetarian diet, we could collectively bring down emissions by 63 percent as soon as 2050.  And if we all went vegan, we’d shift that percentage to a whopping 70 percent!!

ARTICLE	TITLE

Eight MILLION premature deaths could be avoided if people started eating entirely plant-based, and seven million if there were a shift to eating more vegetarian. We’d be healthier while our wallets got fatter: global healthcare costs could be slashed by $1 billion a year by 2050.

ARTICLE	TITLE

2050’s looking like a good year if we start taking action IMMEDIATELY.  If every person in the U.S. were to simply choose more plant-based foods, we could cut our carbon footprint in half, save around 200,000 gallons of water each redirect enough grain from the livestock system to feed roughly 2 billion people. We have the potential to make an enormous impact.

“Since we launched One Green Planet back in 2013, we have been unapologetically committed to highlighting how the real war against climate change is being fought on our plates,” said One Green Planet co-founder and Editor-in-Chief, Nil Zacharias. “If we want to have any hope for a sustainable food system that can feed our growing population, business as usual is just not going to cut it any longer. It’s time for us to recognize that animal agriculture is the leading cause of the climate crisis and exercise our power to be a part of the solution with every food choice we make.”

Take the first step by trying any one of the following:

1. Try eating meatless one day a week

2. Make one meal a day all plant-based

3. Recreate your favorite foods without meat and dairy

Eating for the planet has never been easier … or more delicious. One Green Planet just happens to be home to the largest vegan recipe database on the web – and trust us, once you dive in, you’ll probably ask yourself why you never considered eating plant-based before. Or, if you’re a seasoned plant-based eater, you are sure to find hundreds of fresh recipes to add a little more excitement to your life. Click here to access the 5,000+ out of this world recipes.

To learn more about how you can use your food choices to have a positive impact, join One Green Planet’s #EatForThePlanet campaign!

Click on the graphic below for more information

BANNERplate

Lead Image Source: Jeff J Mitchell/Getty Images

Meet the Kind 7-Year-Old Who Has Helped Save the Lives of 17 Kittens Thanks to Her Foster Skills

Emma Feature Image

Victory! Zoo Exposed for Whipping Tigers Closes Thanks to Lack of Attendance

Victory! Bowmanville Zoo to Close After Undercover Investigation Exposes Animal Abuse

Tiger Cub Used as Selfie-Prop by Drug Dealer Gets Rescued!

Abandoned Tiger Cup Rented Out For Selfies Gets Rescued

Beyond Adorbs! Rescued Kittens Nursed Back to Health After Being Abandoned (PHOTOS)

The 5 Wonders: the Story of 5 Rescued Kittens Nursed Back to Health After Being Abandoned (PHOTOS)

49 comments on “It’s That Simple: Skip the Cheeseburger, Save the World”

Larry LeMaster

But where would all those cows live?

Matthew O'Laughlin

Could someone please tag me in this! Its wont let me share it :( and i want it on my page for people to see.. Please help..

Andrea Dean

They have a link to a lot of recipes in this article! Josie Dean

Deanna Smith

Haven't had ground beef in years & don't want any! I will eat a steak now & then!

Matthew Tenner

B.S.!!!!!

Eric Smith

I'm sorry but I love my beef. Tried the whole vegan thing and it SUCKED

Shoma Chatterjee
23 Mar 2016

Just reduce the amount you consume, that's what I did.

Shoma Chatterjee
23 Mar 2016

Just reduce the amount you consume, that's what I did.

Ulla Baagoe

and stop treating the animals inhumanely!

Ulla Baagoe

and stop treating the animals inhumanely!

Drew Geller

I have found garden burgers to be better tasting than hamburgers.

Melvin Lemky

This is a complete farce. Animal pasture land does not make up50% of the total ariable land of the world unless you count the wild animals. Water is not destroyed by livestock drinking it. Human food crops make up a small amount of the world ariable land because that's all that's needed to feed the world. The distribution of food to non growing areas causes more issues of fuel use that local grown meat. The vegetarian countries, by culture, are the poorest countries on earth. If one wishes to be a vegetarian then be one, no need to make up lies to attack another's free choice to eat meat. Let's see. No meat means no leather, no soap, no fertilizer, huge protein diffecencies because only the best land grows food for humans, higher food prices, mixed farming would disappear. Just try growing human quality grain, or salad veggies above the 49 th parallel. Greenhouse only from October thru may. Dumb artical

Christine Mack
24 Mar 2016

No fire extinguishers either! Tired of watching good farm and cattle land being developed for yet another housing development or mall. Livestock isn't to blame, people are!

Andrea Dean
24 Mar 2016

Lol you spelled article wrong after you said it was dumb. Good. Oh, and you can create soap with other items. You can make fertilizer from human waste. And you can find protein in nuts, veggies, whole grains and tofu.

Christine Mack
24 Mar 2016

That's mature Andrea, if you want to play that game, what are your loafers made of? Where they made using chemicals? Unless you live in a grass hut and only wear leaves, don't use any electrics you are damaging our planet worse then any livestock. Us ranchers and farmers provide those grains, veggies and nuts you speak of, we care more about this planet and its resources, our livestock come first. I've rescued horses from slaughter and check calves in blizzards. I get you passionate about your beliefs, so are we and if you closed every place that sold meat for one day, you'd see more people on my side then yours.

Andrea Dean
24 Mar 2016

What's not mature about stating facts? And no one's playing a game. Don't take my words to extremes by saying I'm suggesting that we live like cavemen. I'm merely arguing for the idea that there are alternatives rather than using animals for food and miscellaneous supplies. Also, no one's saying you care about the planet any more or any less than I care about it. So chill.

Christine Mack
24 Mar 2016

Chill? I didn't realize kids where still using that word, I guess I'm too busy feeding the world to keep up, however I'd suggest the same to you, going after people over spelling or grammar errors, do you have nothing better to do? If you're not playing a game, that must mean you're a hypocrite, that your foot print on our planet couldn't possibly be the problem, yet my cattle are. If you're on the Animal rights side of the issue, then your actually on my side. My cows have names, stay in new barns and are mourned when they leave us. I hate factory farms, I fight for family farms and believe every animal should be treated with respect. I fight for wildlife which BTW, after cattle graze public land, more wildlife returns. My life, livelihood and feeding the world is no game, instead of "suggesting alternatives" might want to spend some time cleaning up cities, helping city kids grow gardens so they know what an actual carrot looks like, leave those of us who are actually growing that grain for your toast do our work.

Andrea Dean
25 Mar 2016

I never said anything against you and your family-grown farm. I never pointed a figure specifically at you, but you're pointing one at me. You didn't ask about my views but you're assuming you know them and you're assuming I do nothing for this planet. Congrats on turning this into a blown-out-of-proportion argument by creating assumptions.