Anyone who’s observed animals knows that humans aren’t the only ones with an intense mother-child bond. Watch this video to see how a mother pony risked death to shield her two-week-old foal Butterscotch from a Texas barn fire’s flames. Her efforts saved the baby, who escaped with just minor burns, but Bella was burned so severely it’s a miracle she survived.

North Texas Humane Society’s Whitney Hanson believes the only reason Bella made it at all was because of her love for Butterscotch.

The two ponies have been through so much together so far, but they need a lot of outside help to move past this incident. The family who took good care of them before was forced to give them up because they couldn’t afford Bella’s expensive medical treatments. Bella still needs daily topical skin treatments for her burns, plus milk supplements to feed Butterscotch.

You can show your support for Bella and Butterscotch with a donation to the Humane Society of North Texas, and keep up with their progress on the Humane Society’s Facebook page!

Image Source: Butterscotch/Facebook

Best Present Ever! Jessica Chastain Buys Her Mom a Vegan Food Truck

Best Present Ever! Jessica Chastain Buys Her Mom a Vegan Food Truck

We Love Toast The Rescue Dog! She Should Totally Rub Shoulders With Other Famous Rescues!

We Love Toast The Rescue Dog! He Should Totally Rub Shoulders With Other Famous Rescues!

Finally! Justice for Katniss, the Kitten Who Died After Being Brutally Abused

Finally! Justice for Katniss, the Kitten Who Died After Being Brutally Abused

Stunning Photos! The Winners of the Wildlife Photographer of the Year Award

Stunning Photos! The Winners of the Wildlife Photographer of the Year Award

31 comments on “Pony Risks Life to Save Foal from Barn Fire (VIDEO)”

Sign on with:
Samantha Tschirhart

I dont have any clue what you thought I ment by that simple sentence Cyfarwydd Inn.. not sure why you thought a personal attack was necessary or the fact that you attempted to assume you had any idea what you were ranting on about ... by trying to make an example out of me. Good try however you just came off as a fool. Instincts are fact.. emotions are a human trait.. not a animal trait. I never said I harmed animals either.. ill let your ignorance slide since after all its Monday.

Christine Rebelo

awesome

Gay Lawson

So when a baby calf gets taken from her mother to be slaughtered why are people not affected by that , do they think that mother doesn't feel the pain and concern because she's a cow, what's the difference. This is a wonderful story and also points out that our so called barn animals have families and a life all their own with love and compassion to share.

Linda Robbins

I'm really really happy for the baby and mamma what a little hero, the question I have why would the owners have to surrender them in order for them to get help and heal? I sure the owners are devastated, about the fire but to have to surrender their animals in order to get help only to have them sold , possibly split up, why did it have to be dealt with this way ? Just asking or is that how it's done when it comes to a helping people , and please I don't need to be heckled I truly am trying to understand if there was some other route without taken them from the owners, don't vets usually try and help in a case like this

Susie Smith Heiss

Sweetest thing! Hope they recover okay!

Giselle Mehta

We err in thinking only humans have rights to the familial.

Ann Saunders

Yes, these animals love each other! My foal, now 19 years old, when his mother died two years ago, stood over her grave for days. Now all I have to do is say I miss Sugar... his mom's name, and he becomes as placid and friendly as I have ever seen him! The mare I purchased for my daughter had FITS when we were burying Sugar, and whenever that machine that did the digging comes over to do more work, she charges it! Given the chance, horses and other pets , will show you their feelings if they trust you enough.

Wendi Davidson

Amanda Kay, Jess Fitz, Bob Davidson,

Marie Havens

Tears! Amazing...

Samantha Tschirhart

(Instincts and feelings are not the same people)

Cyfarwydd Inn
28 Apr 2014

scientists, neurologists... there are tons of studies out now that show animals not only are social and emotional but also self-aware... so.just.stop. whatever lil pleasure you get from harming animals or simply feeling "greater than" is a lie... lie to yourself all you want to justify whatever but don't bring others into your world ~