Buy the #EatForThePlanet book

Buzz Petition

For millions of families in the U.S., dog and cat companions are their best friends. We happily provide them with all the toys they could ever want, provide yummy treats and do everything possible to ensure their well-being. Even still, people fall on hard times. Perhaps a person unexpectedly lost their job or maybe there was a death in the family.

To help support struggling families, the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP) helps 40 million low or no income people in the U.S. pay for food, according to a Care2 petition. But here’s the problem: SNAP benefits cannot be used to buy pet food, causing many struggling families to have to make difficult decisions, such as surrendering the pet.

Just because someone has fallen on hard times, doesn’t mean they should have to give up their beloved pet. With 70 million stray animals living in the United States, only about six to eight million cats and dogs enter the nation’s 3,500 shelters every year. That evens out to about five homeless animals for every homeless person in the U.S. Considering the statistics, one of the best ways to help solve the pet overpopulation crisis is to first try to keep pets in their homes and out of the shelter system. And that means helping families feed their furry friends!

If you agree that the USDA should expand SNAP benefits to include pet food, please sign this important Care2 petition and share it with your friends and family.

Until SNAP benefits are expanding to include pet food, seeing what resources your local animal shelter or rescue group offers is the best place to start if you (or someone you know) is financially struggling. Many animal shelters understand and offer pet food assistance through local food pantries to help ease the burden. For more resources, check this out.

Buzz Petition

Image Source: congerdesign/Pixabay

Prince Harry and Meghan Markle Raise Awareness for Plastic Pollution During Australian Beach Cleanup!

This Supermarket Chain Is Offering Discounts on Popular Plant-Based Brands Thanks to Brilliant New Campaign

YES! Colleges, Hospitals, and Workplaces Are Getting Vegan Just Egg Sandwiches Thanks to Aramark

Awesome New Website Launches to Help Consumers Discover the Animal and Environmental Impact of Food Choices

20 comments on “Don’t Let Animals Go Hungry, Include Pet Food in SNAP Benefits!”

Dobby

I have never been on SNAP. 40 million - wow! But, when my family\'s resources were basically cut in half the last 5 years, the last thing we would do is bring in a new pet. We did kept the dog we had, but were not able to get yearly shots - only the rabies given at discount at a pet store. I say NO SNAP FOR PETS! It is meant for people

JOHN PASQUA

SIGNED FOR THE GREAT ANIMALS.

Bob Mangarell

If you can't afford to feed a pet then don't get a pet......if you need assistance for food then how will you pay vet bills, heart worm pills, tick repellent etc

Bob Mangarell
14 Jan 2018

Then again people already on assistance go and have more kids hahahaha

David Andrew Hernandez

love it but don't see it happening

Rusti Yankowsky

This will never happen, they don't allow people to buy hot foods, think the powers that be will feed you pet? Not likely.

Jen Warner

As liberal as I am, I do not think that everyone should pay for your pet's food. Having a pet isn't a right.

Mary E Holtorf

No. Why don’t I have a dog? Because I can’t afford one. But I work and I am paying for those snap benefits that I don’t qualify for. Do what I do, volunteer at your local animal shelter. But don’t get a dog, or any other pets for that matter. Call the animal shelter for assistance, but no snap.

Marilyn Corrado

I get it but if you cant fend for yourself then you should not have a pet. They need more then food

Carolyn Haack
14 Jan 2018

There are places that offer low cost/no cost vet services as well for people who are struggling. Is it better to have them surrender the animals to a shelter, where they may be put down, or prevent other animals from finding room in the shelter? I’d rather my tax dollars were going to feed people’s pets in times of need than a lot of other things.

Mary E Holtorf
14 Jan 2018

You can donate funds or volunteer to an organization that helps support pets in need. Probably a much more cost effective way to accomplish the goal of suppoting pets in need.

Sophia Jumatate

If I'm tight on cash, my dog eats way better than I do.

Rachael Raines

I didn't surrender my dog to a shelter when I was on food stamps. I never purchased junk foods, only real foods. BTW canned biscuits are junk food, dried pasta is junk food, I made all of that by hand, and I made dog food from scratch too! I haven't been on assistance in a long time. I still cook my own foods, even my dog's food.