Welcome Green Monsters! We're your online guide to making conscious choices that help people, animals and the planet.
Download food monster: the biggest, baddest, yummiest vegan food app!
Buy the #EatForThePlanet book
single

SUBSCRIBE TO OUR Newsletter

  GET FOOD MONSTER AppX

In Patna, India, a team of vets removed over 176 pounds of plastic waste from a cow’s stomach. The surgery was carried out by doctors at the Bihar veterinary college, and the whole unfortunate ordeal is a very strong reminder of what can happen to our plastic once we are done with it.

“This is the first case in my 13 years of professional practice when we removed over 80 kgs of polythene waste from the stomach of a cow,” said doctor GD Singh, assistant professor of surgery and radiology who had led the surgery.

The operation lasted over three hours. The patient, a six-year-old cow, was brought to the hospital because he was not eating properly and, finally, stopped eating altogether.  Singh pointed out that letting animals graze in urban areas can be very dangerous. “People should also avoid throwing eatables in polythene bags and serious efforts should be made to spread awareness about its bad impact on the environment,” he said.

In most large cities in India, cattle are allowed to graze freely in open land and they often end up investigating garbage bins. Since so much food waste is disposed of in plastic bags and various plastics can be found in every bin, the animals unavoidably end up consuming the dangerous material. Once ingested, plastic releases toxins into the animal’s body and can cause life-threatening intestinal blockages.

“Apart from the plastic completely choking the digestive system of the cow and causing excruciating pain to the animal, plastic residues enter the human food chain through dairy and animal products,” said a report conducted by Karuna Society for Animals and Nature.

The case is not without precedent. In March 2017, vets removed over 66 pounds of plastic from the belly of a cow at Jatlapalem village, Andhra Pradesh. In September 2016, doctors of Jivdaya Charitable Trust in Ahmedabad found over 220 pounds of plastic in the stomach of an operated cow.

The awareness of the deadly effects of plastic on marine animals is now fortunately spreading. Cases like this one, however, show that it is not only marine wildlife that suffers the effects of plastic ingestion. And, if we go on as we do now when it comes to our plastic habits, they will be only more and more numerous.

To learn what you can do to help the planet by making conscious choices regarding your plastic consumption, check out One Green Planet’s #CrushPlastic campaign!

Image source: Hindustan Times

Want to read more posts like this? Sign up for our newsletter below!​

Browse through some recent posts below:

Illinois Banned the Sale of Ivory and Rhino Horn!

80% of Animals Were Killed in Recent Kerala Floods, But Rescuers Are Determined to Help Any Survivors They Can

Wow! CEO of Tyson Has Some Pretty Incredible Thoughts On Why Plant Protein Is the Future

Who Could Look at This Puppy and Leave a Rope Around His Neck to the Point it Gets Embedded!?


Disclosure: One Green Planet accepts advertising, sponsorship, affiliate links and other forms of compensation, which may or may not influence the advertising content, topics or articles written on this site. Click here for more information.

0 comments on “Cow Who Had 176 Pounds of Plastic Removed From Her Stomach Shows the Impact of Our Trash”

Click to add comment


Subscribe to our Newsletter




Follow us on


Do Not Show This Again

×

Submit to OneGreenPlanet


Terms & Conditions ×
  GET FOOD MONSTER APPX