Author, chef and TV personality, Anthony Bourdain is known to have a special dislike for vegans and vegetarians.

In his book Kitchen Confidential, he wrote “Vegetarians, and their Hezbollah-like splinter faction, the vegans, are a persistent irritant to any chef worth a damn. To me, life without veal stock, pork fat, sausage, organ meat, demi-glace, or even stinky cheese is a life not worth living. Vegetarians are the enemy of everything good and decent in the human spirit, and an affront to all I stand for, the pure enjoyment of food.”

Apparently, he’s still doesn’t get it. In a brand new interview with Playboy Magazine he had this to say about vegetarians:

“They make for bad travelers and bad guests. The notion that before you even set out to go to Thailand, you say, “I’m not interested,” or you’re unwilling to try things that people take so personally and are so proud of and so generous with, I don’t understand that, and I think it’s rude. You’re at Grandma’s house, you eat what Grandma serves you.”

Of course, he has even worse things to say about vegans. Bourdain proclaims “I don’t have any understanding of it. Being a vegan is a first-world phenomenon, completely self-indulgent.”

How unfortunate that a seemingly intelligent person can be so ignorant about the devastating impact that animal agriculture has on animals, public health and the environment.

Dear Mr. Bourdain, in the age of information, ignorance is a choice; you’re hating on the wrong people.

Image Source: Neeta Lind/Flickr

What Is Wrong With the World? Annual Festival Where Turkeys Are Dropped From Airplanes Begins Again…

Danone’s Profits Spiked by $760 Million Thanks to Their New Dairy-Free Brands!

We Did It! Hank the Pit Bull Is Free Thanks to Community Outpouring

New Grubhub Data Shows Vegan Orders Have Increased by 20% in Just 1 Year!

4 comments on “Anthony Bourdain Thinks Vegans are Self-Indulgent”

Jason

Obviously, most of you detractors have not traveled much. Being a vegan/vegetarian is a "first world" luxury for the most part....with the exception of places like India that are set up for it and have done it for eons. Most countries could not sustain themselves without animal protein.

Evan

Why can\'t people accept others? I read Mr. Bourdain\'s comments and I think, "how narrow-minded and unaccepting". I read comments below by some vegans and vegetarians and think, "how narrow-minded and unaccepting".
It\'s great to believe in something, and want to encourage others to go the same direction for the desired benefits.
It\'s highly immature to denigrate, badmouth, malign, or otherwise put down others who don\'t hold the same beliefs.
Does anyone believe that insults are an effective way to get others to agree with a person and get them to go along with a position?!?
I\'d say it\'s time for Mr. Bourdain and all the others on BOTH sides of the fence to grow up and stop throwing mud at each other. We\'re not 12 years old any more. Or do we have to call everybody\'s mommy to come give \'em a paddlin\'?

Alwyn

Somebody told me once that Vegans (and to a lesser extent vegetarians) are sanctimonious, arrogant, self-righteous pricks . Reading the comments below, I now understand why I was told that.

Evan
19 May 2015

You couldn\'t try and be honest or maybe just show some balance by inserting the word \'some\' in your expressed opinion?
Really?

bill

I completely agree with him. It makes perfect sense and is true. You know, you can eat whatever you want. If it\'s only vegan, that\'s fine. But all too much vegans treat their culinary decisions like a religion. But that annoying faction of religion wherein the practitioners are overly persistent in trying to persuade others. Creating absurd policy. I love the way foie-gras tastes. And I\'m sorry, but you\'re never going to engage in a serious discussion with a goose. And eating meat actually improves my mood from the brain chemistry up. I won\'t exchange that for some arbitrary ethics.

Taji Amen
21 May 2015

You are SO clueless. You see eating meat as purely a "culinary decision" and based on "arbitrary ethics". You clearly have no idea of the ecological issues surrounding carnivory.
Read a book about it.

Joan Thomas

Mr Bourdain fails to realize how unhealthy the meat in this country is. If he does know, then that\'s even worse. Ractopamine in pork and beef is banned in other countries, but not here. The meat is full of hormones and antibiotics. I hardly eat any meat anymore, and if I do, it\'s only organic and not raised in a factory farm, or from another country where their governments actually care about the health of their people. The FDA is a joke, and I don\'t trust it to protect us. Not to mention the cruelty of gestation crates and the horrible condition in which these animals are raised. If we could all be like natives who kill for food, it wouldn\'t be an issue. We need to honor the animal\'s sacrifice.

Joan Thomas

David Nix

Hurrah for more vegetarians and vegans!... I don\'t ageee with Mr. Bourdain, who I happen to like, in condemning them. They leave more tasty rare meats, stinky exotic cheeses, and suet--soaked cream-filled desserts for me to enjoy! Please, by all means become a veg-a-vegan, but leave me alone with what I choose to indulge in.

Mira

For you Mr. Bourdain....and by the way, the greatest geniuses the world has ever had EINSTEIN and Leonardo DA Vinci where VEGANS ! so, poor them, they missed a lot, right ? “If slaughterhouses had glass walls, everyone would be a vegetarian.”
― Paul McCartney -
The list with famous vegans and vegetarians , from the Antiquity to the present is right here in the Wikipedia link...and I will name just a few....Another great site is in the second link, where they can be found based on the eras they lived..( 4 links with huge lists of vegetarians/vegans )
Leonardo da Vinci, Immanuel Kant, Mark twain, G.B.Show, Plato, Pythagora, Vincent van Gogh, Voltaire, Tolstoi, Jane Goodall, Rosa Parks, Albert Einstein,
Saint Francesco d\'Assisi, Sir Isaac Newton, Socrates, Thomas Edison
Brad Pitt, Richard Geer,Leonardo diCaprio, Paul McCartney, and many, many , many more...
including famous athletes...
So, basically all these GREAT people this world has known, and all these present celebrities are " the enemy of everything good and decent in the human spirit, and an affront to all I stand for, the pure enjoyment of food." ??????? you are so ignorant and arrogant in the same time...What an EGO you have...can you compare yourself with Da Vinci ? Oh dear God..
http://www.hercampus.com/school/brandeis/green-eating-famous-vegan-and-vegetarian-celebrities —

droops
19 May 2015

sounds like you compared him to da vinci, and it\'s a bit of fallacy to conclude something is great or not great because what other people do, I think, not positive, the argument fallacy is ad populis. I think he also takes such a prideful position, because in a respect, it\'s insulting to his profession.

I think his argument: people eat this around the world its part of their culture, etc etc. is more viable than veganism is great cause all these people famous for non-sequitur success think so.

Soren
19 May 2015

What\'s the point? Hitler was a vegetarian too. People are good, bad, smart, evil, clever, lovely, funny, atrocious and/or whatever other adjective completely regardless of their dietary ideas.

Bourdain is obviously trying to be funny, when he says vegans are the enemy of everything good. Whether it is funny I can\'t say, but try seeing it for the jest it is, not the foolishness it isn\'t.

Sherwood
19 May 2015

Da Vinci was most certainly not a vegan, although he may possibly have been vegetarian.
Einstein was vegetarian at the end of his life, maybe for the last year or so. I don\'t think there\'s anything other than wishful thinking to indicate he was vegan.

Boga

Butthurt as far as the eye can see! Personally, I don\'t think vegans are self indulgent, they are a product of the good old protestant work ethic. Depriving yourselves makes you feel good, and knowing that a purely vegan diet can barely sustain human life just make them feel more righteous about their self denial. now, Bourdain does have a heapin helping of self importance in him, as well, but that does not belie the fact that Vegans and vegetarians use their "righteous" die practices as a weapon to feel superior to those around them, much as religious people do. I mean these comments are just dripping in self congratulatory sarcasm about how enlightened they are, and how hamburger is destroying the world. The Bambi Syndrome in america\'s newest religion.

Also, you expect friends and neighbors to indulge your dietary peculiarities when you visit them, but when was the last time you whipped up a nice steak and baked potato because that is what YOUR guest prefers to eat. QWhat? Never? Meat is murder? I owned that album...

David Nix
15 May 2015

Hurrah for more vegetarians and vegans... that leaves more fabulous meats of all kinds, exotic stinky cheeses, and suet-soaked cream-covered baked goods for me to be self-indulgent with!!!!

Isabel Arizmendi

I would really like this Mr. Bourdain to taste one of my vegan meals, Mexican, Indian or Spanish style. One cannot have such a big mouth without knowing first!