Plants are good in so many ways. Many are beautiful to look at, a display of colors, flowers, shapes, and twirling tendrils, or spikes and spines, if that’s what you are into. Some of them smell wonderful, filling the room with fragrances that are sweet and simple, others tempt our taste buds. Some can be good for cleaning the air, attractants for beneficial insects like bees and butterflies, or spirit-lifting hobbies over which to preen. Gardening is said to be a great thwarter of gloominess. Of course, lots of plants provide food, not just for our souls, but for our bellies.

For all of those uses, with a mosquito buzzing around your ears, there is but one quality that seems to matter: which plants repel household pests? Flies, mosquitoes, ants, roaches, ticks, fleas – is there anything we can grow to rid of these problems? Unsurprisingly, there is. Even better, most of those plants — all beautiful — can also be used as food and medicine. So, before the bugs get back to biting, get these plants in a pot and that pot in your house.

Basil

Basil is a popular and versatile culinary herb and featured in many types of cuisines, including Mediterranean, Thailand, Indian, and more. In addition to being tasty, basil has high medicinal and nutritional value. What’s more, it’s a very easy plant to grow, one that’ll happily reside on a sunny windowsill with regular watering from the kitchen sink. Better yet, put the plants by doors coming in from outside. They deter both houseflies and mosquitoes. Basil can also be boiled into teas/sprays that will help keep bugs at bay.

Lemongrass

Lemongrass is a clumping herb that works for garden borders, helping to prevent erosion while repelling insects. It’s aces for mosquitos because it contains the ever popular citronella. As with any culinary herb, lemongrass has a host of medicinal values, and it works especially great for adding a citrus zing to broth-y soups. One problem: though it’s a perennial plant, it doesn’t survive the cold well. It can be grown in pots and brought in doors, or it can be treated as an annual and planted anew every year. Lemongrass can be tied together in bouquets, or it can be used to infuse vodka (alcohol) to make homemade mosquito repellent.

Mint(s)

Culinary herbs work well for deterring pesky insects because they have such strong flavors and aromas, and mint is most definitely in that category. Not only does it make great tea, freshen breath, and compliment desserts, it disgusts troublesome household visitors like mosquitos, ants, and spiders. Additionally, peppermint is said to be useful in battling the always unpopular cockroaches. Mint is also another easy plant to grow, often so veracious it will overtake gardens in weed-like fashion. Grow it in pots where you can, or create tinctures (or buy essential oils) that can be dripped in pantries and shelves to help with creepers.

Rosemary

Why stop listing culinary herbs when we’ve got a good thing going! Another plant with a strong scent and fantastic flavor, rosemary is a herb that mosquitoes do not particularly approve of. For that matter, it is also useful in deterring many garden pests that might be after the veggies. It can be grown in pots and trimmed into attractive shapes, not quite bonsai-style but not far off. Plus, it is just so much more appealing to repel pest, including ticks and fleas, with something we can eat rather than a chemical that we shouldn’t be putting on our skin or breathing in. Boil it to make a spray or simply put dried bouquets around the house.

Lavender

Not typically used in the kitchen, though some creative chefs do so sparingly in sweets, lavender is another pest pestering plant that has added attributes to justify growing it. Obviously, there are beautiful purple flowers, but more interestingly, the scent of lavender is known to calm us, helping to melt stresses away. Oddly enough, that same soothing scent has the opposite effect on moths, fleas, ticks, flies, and mosquitoes, all of which find it utterly insufferable. It can be grown in pots or garden beds with good drainage, and it would also be a good idea near doorways. Just clip lavender and put in vases around the house for a useful and beautiful display.

Venus Flytrap

More fun and fascinating than exceptionally effective, Venus flytraps are curious plants to keep around the house, and as we all know, they aren’t so much bug repellents and bug consumers. They are a bit of novelty plants, though extracts from Venus flytraps have been used to treat several chronic diseases, such cancer, multiple sclerosis, AIDS, and herpes. However, it would probably be best to consult a trained professional for such endeavors. In the meantime, keep one in the house to naturally handle the pests that are already there.

It’s a win in many ways. Growing some plants to help with household pests equates to having all sorts of healthy organic ingredients around, creating a soothing and sweet-smelling environment and avoiding harm chemicals. What a deal!

Image source: /Shutterstock

Skip the Package and Buy These Foods in Bulk to Save Money and a Lot of Waste

7 Squashes and Pumpkins to Plant for Autumn

5 Ways Meditation Can Help You Live a More Sustainable Life

10 Reasons Buying Local is Great for You and the Planet

10 comments on “How to Repel Household Pests the Natural Way With Plants”

mercy
2 Days ago

Hello my good friends please do not see this strange cause it my life story
about my healing, i was having herpes for good 6yrs. Things were not
working fine for me due to my health status i know longer have friends know
lover it even takes time before my family co-operate with me due to this i
tried all possible means i can to get this devilish sickness out of my body
i went to hospitals hierarchies and other heath organization but all
remains the same still yet i never gave up cos i was not born with this
illness so i decided to take it over to the internet to see if i could get
remedy, on my search i saw a testimony of a woman, she said she was also
having a terrible sickness for over 3yrs but now she is healed i was
surprise at first when i saw her test so she wrote a name dr astogo and
also gave his email id so i mailed them which is (
[email protected]) i told them about my problem and after the
processes he told me that am healed but i never believed he told me to go
and confirm it from the hospital were i have been taking treatment still i
never believed also although he gave me evidence that the sickness was
gone. Finally i decided to go for check up and to my surprise my doctor
said the sickness was know longer there with thought of joy i started
shearing tears. My friends today am now married bless with 2kids, so if you
have any sickness such as cancer, hiv, kindly email (
[email protected]) or call +393510025283

JOYICE
13 Days ago

I was haven herpes 2 on my private part. I have had them for about 2 and a bit years. I am so scared what my mates are going to says if there should fined out i have herpes on my private part and due to the virus my girlfriend broke up with me. I have been to the Doctors 9 times to get it treated. They all come back. I have been using Tee Tree Oil and Wartner (You freeze them at home) and they seem to be keeping the smaller herpes small but they can\'t seem to treat the larger ones. They don\'t get any bigger, but then they can\'t shrink as much. They get smaller a little part at a time. At least they are getting smaller! As soon as I see a new herpes appearing, then I treat it. At the moment I have been using Tee Tree twice a week and then using Wartner every 2 weeks. I was wondering if there was any other information about how to get rid of it. I am only a teenager and I hate it most when it get pi-chins me to scratch it, it get sweets when scratching it most times! I want to get rid of it so bad! DR.OBA website has been a huge help and has helped me realize a lot more about me and my family of genital herpes! so that was when i switch for natural remedy to see if there could be any help by herbal remedy, i search and i saw a great posts by Sarah devise adebayo ehijactor and shanttel Merritt on about the great herbal doctor that get them rid of there disease infection. and this great herbal doctor was called DR.OBA so that was when i contacted him for my own treatment and he prepared me some herbs which i takes for some couples of days, and i take it as he says before i am to no me and my family was perfectly cure for it and never experience it again. please friends if you have herpes virus and you really wants to get rid of it, please contact this great DR.OBA for herbal treatment and you will get rid of it. EMAIL. [email protected]

cell phone contact +2348154692747
his whatsapp contact is +2348154692747

THANK TO YOU ALL FOR YOUR TIME OF READY MY TESTIMONY AND MOST ESPECIALLY YOU DR. OBA I PRAY TO GOD TO NEVER LET ME AND MY FAMILY FORGET YOU IN OUR LIFE\'S

Amanda Caleb
17 Days ago

This is real take it serious, who will believe that a herbal doctor(Dr Bude)can cure four years HERPES in my body, i never believe that this will work i have spend a lot when getting drugs from the hospital to keep me healthy, what i was waiting for is death because i was broke, one day i hard about this great man who is well know of HERPES and cancer cure, i decided to email him, unknowingly to me that this will be the end of the HERPES in my body, he prepare the herb for me, and give me instruction on how to take it, at the end of the two week, he told me to go to the hospital for a check up, and i went, surprisingly after the test the doctor confirm me negative, i thought it was a joke, i went to other hospital was also negative, then i took my friend who was also HERPES positive to the Dr Bude, after the treatment she was also confirm negative . He also have the herb to cure cancer please i want every one with this virus to be free, that is why am dropping his email address, Email:[email protected] or [email protected] and his contact +2348138666235 do email him he is a great man. the government is also interested in this Dr Bude, thank you for saving my life, and I promise I will always testify for your good work and also whatsapp him,Website:http://budespelltemple.wixsite.com/drbude

Alisson Clarke
26 Days ago

Hello everyone, this is serious. I am happy to share this miraculous testimony about my dad, My Dad of 68 years who has suffered of HERPES for 1 and half years has been cured by a Herbal doctor called Dr. WILLIAM who uses herbal and traditional medicine to cure people. I have spent so much on my Dad\'s health paying hospital bills for years but no improvement. A friend told me about this herbal man who cure people with herbal medicine. He cures all sickness, diseases, viruses, and infections with his different herbal curing medicine.he is blessed by God to save man with his herbal medicine,he is true and would not take much to cure you.
The result that declares my Dad Roland healed was from a hospital here in New York, And the results of the test says my Dad was okay. Dr WILLIAM directed that Dad would be okay in 21 days if she uses the medicine as directed. And 21 days later, we went to confirm it from the central hospital and several test that was done says my Dad is fully healed. So she was cured by this herbal doctor in 21 days. This amaze me though. I would advice everyone to meet this Dr WILLIAM who made my Dad healthy again.

Meet Dr WILLIAM and set yourself and your love ones free.

Doctor WILLIAMS email again is [email protected] call or whats app +2347065237363

Alisson Clarke
26 Days ago

Meet Dr WILLIAM and set yourself and your love ones free.

sam clark

*my fiance make sex to me unsecured without*
*protection, although i never knew he is HERPES positive.*
*So last few 4 days i came in contact with a lively article*
*on the internet on how this Powerful Herbal Healer get*
*her well and healed. So as a patient i knew this will*
*took my life 1 day, and i need to live with other friends*
*and relatives too. So i copied out the Dr ojaga the*.
*traditional healer\'s email id:

*my fiance make sex to me unsecured without*
*protection, although i never knew he is HERPES positive.*
*So last few 4 days i came in contact with a lively article*
*on the internet on how this Powerful Herbal Healer get*
*her well and healed. So as a patient i knew this will*
*took my life 1 day, and i need to live with other friends*
*and relatives too. So i copied out the Dr ojaga the*.
*traditional healer\'s email id:
[email protected]
add him on WhatsApp +2347064370626.you can also call
him! AS HE IS SO*
*POWERFUL AND HELPFUL TO ALL THAT HAVE THIS*
*SICKNESS...*

Elena Walter

I am a 40-year-old. My Hepatitis B (HBV) disease appeared at the age of 34, with no hope of a cure from the hospital i looked further for an alternative treatments, a friend of mine told me about Health Herbal Clinic in Nigeria who sell herbal treatments for diseases including Hepatitis B disease, I contacted the herbal clinic via their website and purchased the HBV herbal remedy. I received the herbal remedy through DHL couriers within 8 days and i immediately commenced usage as prescribed, i used the herbal remedy for about a month and 1 week, my condition has greatly improved, all my symptoms including Abdominal pain, Nausea and vomiting, Loss of appetite, I am HBV free! contact Health Herbal Clinic via their email [email protected] or visit https://m.facebook.com/greatdrariba.. PLS HBV is not a death sentence, there is a cure!
Whatsapp: +2348140439497

Cynthia Albert
19 Jul 2017

I want to give a testimony on how I got cured from Herpes Virus. Few months back I was having some symptoms . I went to see a doctor and many blood tests was done on me, later on I was told I had Herpes. My doctor told me that there\'s no cure for Herpes I felt bad, I went online searching for a possible cure for Herpes Virus, I saw a post of dr.peter a herbal doctor that\'s helping people get cured from HIV, HEPATITIS B, CANCER e.t.c. I contacted him and told him how I\'m feeling he said his herbal medicine can cure me. He sent me the medicine via Courier Service and I received the medicine some days after he sent it, i took the medicine as prescribed by him. Before the completion of the medication the symptoms stopped. I went to the doctor and carried out another blood test, surprisingly I was Negative. I haven\'t had any symptoms anymore. dr.peter is great..You can contact him on this Email: ([email protected])

Vivian Adams

Hi Friends i am so glad to writing this article today to tell the world how Dr BAWADA cured my HSV VIRUS,i have been detected with HSV-1 AND HSV-2 since five years ago, ever since then my life has been in complete bizarre and agony,i have used so many drugs that was prescribed to me by several doctors,but it didn\'t cure my HSV VIRUS neither did it reduce the pain,until a certain i was checking for solution in the internet,then miraculously came across Dr BAWADA the powerful herbalist that cure numerous individuals HSV-1 AND HSV-2 INFECTION,then i contacted his email:[email protected] i explained everything to him and prepared a cure that cure my HSV-1 AND HSV-2 disease totally after receiving his herbal medicine, so my friends viewers why wait and be suffer when there is someone like Dr BAWADA that can cure any disease HIV/ CANCER/ HEPATITIS B VIRUS, you can contact his via:[email protected] or his Mobile number:+254741086480 OR web/site

Vivian Adams