When I was a little girl, my Baba (Grandmother) would wrap a penny in aluminum foil and hide it somewhere in the meat pierog. You had to eat carefully, but whoever found the prize had the best of luck and a shiny new penny. When I became vegan, we learned to bake an alternative traditional “meat” pierog. Beet salad is always tasty served with pierog, and this is one of my favorite meals. I hope you enjoy it as much as I do!
Russian Pierog and Beet Salad [Vegan]
Sour Cream Pastry
- 3 cups of flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 14 tbsp. of vegan margarine
- 3 tbsp. potato starch or arrowroot powder
- 2/3 cup of vegan sour cream
- 1 large onion
- 1 tbsp. of olive oil
- Two packages of veggie protein crumbles
- Two carrots
- One cube of vegetable bouillon
- A pinch of black pepper and cayenne
Beet Salad Ingredients:
- 1 large onion
- One large can of chick peas
- One large can of dark red kidney beans
- One large can of cannellini beans
- Two cans of beets
- 1/2 cup of bread and butter pickles
- 1/2 cup of white vinegar
- Combine Sour Cream Pastry dry ingredients.
- Then add the vegan sour cream a little at a time and either knead the mixture on a breadboard or with your mixer’s dough hook. If the dough is a little dry, you may add a bit of water or vegan margarine.
- Separate the dough into two equal sized balls, cover with saran wrap, and refrigerate for one hour.
- Chop the onion and fry it in the olive oil.
- Slice the carrots and add to the onions.
- Add the cube of vegetable bouillon, some black pepper and cayenne. Fry the veggies for a few minutes and set aside.
- Preheat the oven to 350.
- Throw some flour onto your bread board and roll out the two balls of dough. If you don’t have a rolling pin, a full a bottle of wine works wonders.
- Place one rolled out ball of dough on the bottom of a baking pan, and add the “meat” and veggie mixture.
- Pace the second rolled out ball of dough on top and pinch the edges closed.
- Bake for 45 minutes.
- Cool, slice and enjoy!
- Finely chop the onion and pickles. I would suggest using your food processor.
- Finely chop one can of beets and leave the other whole.
- Combine all ingredients in a large bowl. Add a little of the beat and pickle juice, mix, and refrigerate for 20 minutes.
- Serve in a small bowl next to your delicious Russian “meat” pierog.