As a chilly winter season draws to an end, many of us are more than ready to make the transition from heavy comfort foods to the light and fresh fare of Spring. Although the looming thought of bathing suit season is usually convincing enough, in terms of health, Spring is a great time to make cleansing changes to your diet and lifestyle.
Spring is a season of growth and there is abundant produce coming into season at your local farmer’s market or grocery store. Asparagus doesn’t get any better than when it comes into season in mid-April. Don’t miss out on this opportunity, as it will only last about two months. “New potatoes” are simply baby potatoes, picked when they are still immature. These tiny potatoes have a thin skin, so no need to waste your time peeling them. They work beautifully when boiled, steamed, or roasted.
The peak season for green beans is from May to October. Beans are so versatile and come in so many different varieties, be sure to try out as many as you can!
Salads are a great way to showcase these vegetables when they are in season and at the peak of their flavor.
New Potato Salad with Grainy Mustard Vinaigrette
- 1lb new potatoes, quartered (use a variety of colours)
- 5 oz spinach, washed
- 1 bunch asparagus, trimmed and cut in 2-inch pieces
- zest of ½ lemon
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- ½ tsp sea salt
- ¼ tsp black pepper
- 2 tbsp grainy mustard
- 2 tbsp red wine vinegar
- 2 tbsp maple syrup
- ½ cup olive oil
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil, add the potatoes and boil until tender, about ten minutes.
- Drain and reserve potatoes.
- In a pot of boiling, salted water, add the asparagus and boil until tender, about two minutes.
- Drain and rinse under cold water until completely cool, to prevent overcooking.
- In a bowl, whisk together the garlic, salt, pepper, mustard, vinegar, syrup, and olive oil.
- Place potatoes, spinach, and asparagus into a serving bowl. Top with lemon zest and toss with vinaigrette. Enjoy!
Zesty Green Salad
- 5oz pack of mixed greens
- 2 cups chopped beans (2- inch pieces)
- ½ cup pistachios, coarsely chopped
- ¼ cup dried cranberries
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 2 tbsp orange juice
- zest of one orange
- 1 tsp maple syrup
- ¾ tsp sherry vinegar
- ¼ tsp salt
- pinch black pepper
- ¾ tsp sherry vinegar
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- Bring a pot of salted water to a boil. Add chopped green beans, and boil until tender, about 2 minutes. Drain and rinse under cold water until completely cool. Set aside.
- In a bowl, whisk together orange zest, lemon juice, orange juice, syrup, salt, pepper, vinegar, and olive oil.
- In a serving bowl, add the mixed greens, green beans, pistachios, and dried cranberries. Toss with vinaigrette. Enjoy!
Image Source: Koko Brill