The summer sunshine beckons for us to get outside. The sweltering temperatures encourages us all to slow down. Together, you’ve got the perfect equation for a lazy, picnic party. So, invite your friends, to bring a blanket, some hummus, veggies, and a watermelon. There is no better way to spend an afternoon than sharing nourishing food, joyful conversation and a shady spot in the grass. If you show up with these sensational summer dishes you’ll guarantee yourself a prime position on that big, checkered blanket all season long. Raw Berry Crumble Serves 6 Ingredients:
- 1/4 cup pecans
- 1/4 cup walnuts
- 1/4 cup rolled oats
- 1/4 cup shredded coconut (unsweetened)
- 6 Medjool dates, pitted
- 2 tsp vanilla powder (or vanilla extract)
- pinch of sea salt
- 2 cups of fresh berries (1/2 raspberries and 1/2 blackberries is a fabulous combination)
- In a food processor, combine the nuts, oats, and coconut. Pulse until finely chopped. Add the dates, vanilla and sea salt. Pulse until just combined.
- To turn this into a perfect, portable, personal dessert, add 1/3 cup of mixed berries and 3 tbsps of the crumb topping into six 1/2 cup glass jars. If you want to prep ahead of time, these sweet treats will last a few days in the fridge.
Tomato Corn Salad with a Creamy Avocado Dressing Serves 4 Ingredients:
- 2 cups fresh corn (cut from 2 cobs)
- 2 cups fresh tomatoes, chopped
- Mixed greens (optional)
- 1 avocado, peeled and pitted
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 2 green onions (white part only)
- 1/4 cup cilantro leaves
- 1/4 cup water
- In a tupperware container, tiffin or mason jar, combine the corn and tomatoes.
- In a food processor blend the dressing ingredients until smooth. Pack into a small jar or small tupperware container. Blending the avocado with the lemon juice will keep it from oxidizing. This dressing will stay fresh in the fridge for two-three days.
- When you’re ready to eat, toss the corn and tomatoes with the dressing. Serve it as is or enjoy with a big cup of mixed greens.