Combining chocolate and fruit is never a bad idea, in my opinion. It just makes sense. What could be better than two of my favorite foods joining forces? When I saw a recipe that unites peaches with chocolate brownies, I knew I had to have it on my plate and in my belly as soon as possible.
The original list of ingredients from Sandra's Easy Cooking included eggs and butter, which I swapped out with unsweetened applesauce and Earth Balance. The end result is a beautiful coupling of dense cake and summer fruit that contains just the right amount of sweetness.
Upside Down Peach Brownies
- 1 1/2 cups vegan refined sugar
- 1/2 cup cocoa powder
- 1 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons vegan butter, softened
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 15-20 peach slices, canned*
- 1 tablespoon vegan confectioners’ sugar
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit and line an 8×8″ square pan with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, mix together the refined sugar, cocoa, applesauce, vanilla, Earth Balance and sea salt on low speed until combined.
- Add in the flour and mix on medium speed until all ingredients are fully combined. The batter will be pretty thick.
- Place the peach slices in rows in the bottom of the pan, on top of the parchment paper, and sprinkle the brown sugar over top of them.
- Pour the batter on top of the peaches, spreading it out evenly with a spoon.
- Bake for 35-40 minutes, until a toothpick can be inserted and removed cleanly.
- Remove the brownies from the oven and allow to cool for 10 minutes before removing them from the pan.
- Placing a place on top of the pan, flip the brownies over on top of the plate.
- Remove the pan and peel off the parchment paper.
- Allow the brownies to cool to room temperature, sprinkle with confectioners’ sugar and enjoy!