In Sweden, this cake is made for all kinds of special occasions; it is also served as a snack or treat, even dinner, if your feel like it… and believe me, you WILL feel like it! If you are not used to the idea of a savory layered cake, this recipe can take you down the road of something new and exciting.
The non vegan versions of this cake are usually made with different variations of sandwich meats, cheese and shrimp as toppings, layered with patés and other creamy fillings. The vegan version is a lot healthier, tastier and kind to humans and animals alike. This recipe has a smoked “ham” layer and a veggie-paté layer.
A sandwich cake can be decorated however you want to and whatever way you like; let your imagination run free!
(Makes 2 servings)
- 8 Slices of White “Square” Bread
- 1-2 tubs Vegan Sour Cream (I use Tofutti Sour Supreme)
- 2-4 tbs Vegan Mayonnaise
- 4-8 tbs Dairy Free Margarine
- 1-3 tsp Liquid Smoke
- 3-4 Mushrooms of your choice.
- 1 tube/tub of Tartex (or other veggie paté)
- 6 small Cornichons/ Baby Gherkins
- Salt & Pepper
(decorate the cake with what you like. Things like seaweed caviar and vegan cheese slices are very tasty and highly recommended. For a large cake and other recipes for the filling have a look at my blog)
- Start with the mushroom filling. Clean and cut your mushrooms into chunks and fry on a medium heat with salt and pepper. Add 3-4 tbs of water and leave to simmer until just soft. (if more taste is wanted paprika powder and bbq spice can be added in with the mushrooms) Leave to cool.
- Add mushrooms, liquid smoke, ½-1 tub sour cream, salt and pepper into a bowl and mix well. Taste. Add more spices or liquid smoke if needed.
- Now make your veggie paté layer by adding the ½-1 tube/tub of the veggie paté and 6-8 small chopped up chornichons/ baby gherkins into a bowl and mix well. Add ½ tub sour cream, salt and pepper. Taste the filling.
- Cut the crust of your bread slices and start layering your 2 individual sandwich cakes. Use 4 slices of bread per each cake and spead your bread with a thin layer of margarine before adding your filling. I know there is 2 fillings and there will be room for 3 layers of mixes. Don’t worry the 2 fillings will be enough, just simply divide them to last for both cakes.
- When both the sandwich cakes have been layered. Mix ½ tub sour cream, a few tbs of mayo and margarine together into a smooth easy spreadable paste. Cover the outside of your two sandwich cakes with the margarine mix (the bread layers should not be visible).
- Prepare your lettuce, tomatoes and other toppings and attach them to your two cakes.
Tip: The sandwich cake will taste better if it is left to soak up all the good flavor and sort of “set” a little before eating. If your have leftover cake and want to save it, simply store in the fridge, wrapped in cling film or in a sealable container.