Often times, the best recipes are developed out of necessity to clear out the fridge, which was how my “Summertime Scramble” came to be! I started with my favorite basic curried tofu scramble recipe and added some summer squash, shredded carrot, and onion that were in need of using, plus a few extra tidbits and voila - a vibrant & flavorful tofu scramble that exudes the essence of summer!
Summertime Tofu Scramble [Vegan]
- 2 Tbsp. grapeseed oil
- 1/4 yellow onion, finely diced
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/2 zucchini, cut into 1/2 moons
- 1/2 yellow squash, cut into 1/2 moons
- 1/2 carrot, grated
- 3 whole sun-dried tomatoes, chopped
- 1/2 block of extra-firm tofu (about 6 oz.) pressed & drained
- 2 tsp. curry powder
- 1/4 tsp. cumin
- 1 1/2 tsp. freshly squeezed lemon juice
- pinch of sea salt
- freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 1 cup baby arugula
- Preheat a large sauté pan over medium-high heat. Sauté onion in grapeseed oil for about 3 minutes, until translucent. Add the garlic & saute for about 30 seconds.
- Add zucchini, squash, carrot & sun-dried tomatoes & saute until tender, about 3-4 minutes.
- Crumble tofu into bite-size pieces & add to the pan. Cook for about 5 minutes, stirring often, until the tofu has lightly browned.
- Add the curry powder, cumin, salt, pepper, lemon juice & a few splashes of water to moisten, if mixture becomes dry. Fold in the arugula. Cover & cook for 2-3 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the arugula begins to wilt. Serve with salsa & a side of toast, or spoon over rice!
**For this dish I used two of my new favorite things from Trader Joe’s: “Organic Extra Firm Sprouted Tofu” & “Rice Medley: Brown Rice, Red Rice & Black Barley.”
EXPLORE MORE VEGAN RECIPES WITH THESE INGREDIENTS