This decadent dessert is a combination of a coffee cake and a fragrant fruit pie. A moist cake encapsulates a sweet and tangy apple-blueberry filling. Topping it all off is a cardamom laced streusel, which transforms this simple cake into a truly special treat.
Gluten-Free Vegan Blueberry Apple Pie Cake
- ½ cup vegan margarine
- ¾ cups organic sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla bean paste or extract
- 1 cup sorghum flour
- ½ cup potato starch
- ¼ cup brown rice four
- ¼ cup tapioca starch
- 1 tsp xanthan gum
- 1 ½ tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp sea salt
- ½ cup almond milk
- 1 ½ tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 3 cups fresh blueberries
- 2 cups chopped apple pieces
- 1 cup + 2 tbsp sorghum flour
- 6 tbsp vegan margarine
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- ½ tsp cardamom
- ½ cup organic sugar
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees F. Take an 8” springform pan and lightly grease and dust with sorghum flour.
- Cream together margarine, sugar and vanilla bean paste until smooth.
- In a separate mixing bowl, sift together sorghum flour, potato starch, brown rice flour, tapioca starch, xanthan gum, baking powder and salt. Sift well so that all flours are very well combined.
- Gradually add in flour mixture and almond milk, alternating between each addition. Beat until batter is thick and smooth. Add in vinegar and mix well. Fold in blueberries and apples so that they are evenly distributed throughout.
- Spread batter into prepared springform pan.
- Make crumble topping by combining all ingredients into bowl and loosely cut mixture with a pastry blender until large crumbles form. Sprinkle streusel topping onto cake batter.
- Bake cake in preheated oven for 65-75 minutes. The topping should be a very dark golden brown when finished and knife inserted into cake section should come out relatively clean—disregarding any traces of cooked fruit, of course.
- Let cool briefly before slicing. Serve warm or cold.
EXPLORE MORE VEGAN RECIPES WITH THESE INGREDIENTS