Pineapple upside down cake is one of my favorite cakes for summer. The caramelized brown sugar that coats the top compliments the tangy pineapple slices as if they were made for each other. This cake is moist and dense, meaning that you can make it 2-3 days ahead of time and it will hold its texture perfectly. Substituting pecans for the maraschino cherries traditionally used in this recipe gives the cake an extra bit of flavor without the addition of dyes or preservatives.
Double Layer Pineapple Upside Down Cake [Vegan]
- 1/4 cup grape seed oil
- 3 cups plus 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1 cup vegan butter softened, plus 1/2 cup, melted
- 2 1/4 cups vegan refined sugar
- 1 1/4 cups unsweetened apple sauce
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 1/4 cups plain soy milk
- 2 tablespoons distilled white vinegar
- 1 1/2 cups vegan brown sugar
- 16 pineapple slices, either fresh or canned
- 16 pecans
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit
- Coat two round cake pans with grape seed oil and sprinkle with 1 tablespoon of all-purpose flour.
- Divide the brown sugar evenly between each pan, coating the bottoms.
- Pour the 1/2 cup of melted Earth Balance over the brown sugar. Not all of the sugar will be coated with Earth Balance, but that’s okay. It will spread out as it bakes.
- Place one pineapple slice in the center of each pan.
- Place the remaining pineapple slices in a circle around the edges of the pans, and place one pecan inside of each pineapple slice.
- In a small bowl, stir together the soy milk and 1 tablespoon of distilled white vinegar and set aside.
- In a separate bowl, use a hand mixer to beat the Earth Balance until creamy, around 20 seconds.
- Add in the refined sugar and mix on low-medium speed for 30 seconds.
- Add the apple sauce and vanilla to the sugar mixture and stir until combined.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the 3 cups of all-purpose flour, baking powder and sea salt.
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients, also adding in the soy milk (it should be thick now with a consistency similar to buttermilk), and mix on low-medium speed until combined.
- Stir in the remaining 1 tablespoon of distilled white vinegar.
- Pour the cake batter over top of the pineapples, distributing the batter evenly between the two pans.
- Bake for 40 minutes or until a toothpick can be inserted into the center of each cake and removed cleanly.
- Allow the cakes to cool in their pans for 10 minutes.
- Invert the cakes onto a wire rack until they are completely cool.
- Stack one cake on top of the other to create your double layer masterpiece.
EXPLORE MORE VEGAN RECIPES WITH THESE INGREDIENTS