In this episode, I dive into the future of meat production and the battle against climate change with Khaled bin Alwaleed bin Talal.
Khaled is the founder and CEO of KBW Ventures, but he is not your typical venture capitalist/investor. Not only is he a member of the Saudi royal family, but he is also vegan, a firm proponent of clean energy and healthy living, and he also happens to be an outspoken animal advocate.
Why You Should Listen
In this episode, I cover the following with Khaled:
On Eating Vegan
- Adopting a plant-based diet has been a big part of Khaled’s personal health journey. He shares how he used plant-based food to transform his overall well-being – and with the help of Dr. Michael Greger, his father’s as well.
On Impact Investing
- Khaled believes in using his influence and knowledge in the investment world to help grow mission-driven companies, which he refers to as “do-gooders.” In addition to investing in a company that has innovated a human breastmilk supplement for premature babies – that can replace the current cow’s milk concentrate, which can cause digestive issues that might last throughout the child’s life – he is getting into the world of “clean meat,” or cellular agriculture, and plant-based proteins.
On the End of Factory Farming
- Khaled has bold ambitions to “relegate factory farming to the dustbin of history” and he aims to help make this happen in within the next 10 years. The world’s population is projected to reach 9.7 billion by the year 2050 and the demand for meat is rising globally. Given that industrial animal agriculture produces 99% of meat available today and is driving massive amounts of greenhouse gas emissions, destroying our ecosystems, causing widespread animal suffering, and contributing to a global public health crisis, this system needs an urgent upgrade. Find out how Khaled hopes to transform this industry from the inside out and lay the pathway for a whole new type of meat production that does not involve killing animals.
People/Companies/Resources Mentioned in This Episode
- KBW Investments
- KBW ventures
- “How Not to Die” by Dr. Michael Gregger
- Matthew Kenney
- Beyond Meat
- Impossible Foods
- Good Food Institute
- Audible is offering listeners of this show a free audiobook with a 30-day trial membership. Just go to audible.com/eatfortheplanet.